Friday, January 07, 2011

Church Unique

I am currently one person of many in the RCA who is reading the book “Church Unique: How missional leaders cast vision, capture culture, and create movement” by Will Mancini. I have not yet finished the book and I realize that I may discover things I do not necessarily agree with but I am willing to go on record saying that I appreciate much of what I have read so far. It has challenged me to think about some of the observations about local congregations and church life and whether or not some of the information could apply to an agency such as MFCA. Take for example “strategic planning.” The MFCA has spent much energy over a number of years on strategic planning only to be left, from my perspective, with as many questions as answers. Mancini has the “firm conviction that every prevailing church is an original.” (Pg. 99) This observation has him suggesting that churches need to discover who they are and that if strategic planning does not include a thorough discovery process, the strategic plan may well fail in what it proposes to do. He also encourages that MOTIVES be “clearly defined and adequately aligned.” (Pg. 130)

I am especially intrigued by the emphasis on the unique CULTURE of each church – an intangible that is not necessarily defined by programs, preaching, or worship style. Mancini states that “Culture is the combined effect of the interaction, values, thoughts, attitudes and actions that define the life of your church.” (Pg. 7) I am intrigued because I wonder about the “culture” of the RCA and the role of the MFCA in aligning future leaders with the motives and values of the denomination. 

Taking Mancini’s advice to churches and applying it to the MFCA process may have merit. Let me utilize his list of possible benefits when values and motives are clearly defined and adapted to what is discovered about who we uniquely are…

Ø  Define good decision making that releases leaders on the front line of [RCA] ministry.
Ø  Demonstrate a God honoring unity
Ø  Attract more staff, leaders, and members who share your values
Ø  Free the church [denomination] to not do a lot of things that other churches [denominations} may do
Ø  Increase commitment because people know clearly what we stand for
Ø  Enhance leadership credibility because everyone knows what’s important to the church [denomination] as a whole
Ø  Navigate change more easily because people are emotionally connected to the values that never change

I think we may have something here…

No comments: