Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Shack - It makes you cry and think



I picked up the book at the Fuller Seminary Bookstore... Numerous people at Fuller were reading the book and they were bringing the author, William Young, to Fuller to speak.

I read the book in one sitting and was intrigued by it... Not only did I continually think to myself, "I am glad this is fiction," but, I also wondered if Young had not come up with a marvelous new way to explain the Trinity - a meaningful theological treatise.

The August 2008 issue of Christianity Today did a book review on the book and the author, Derek Keefe, recognizes that "The Shack's most prominent critics see troubling theological claims inherent in the story. Some argue, for example, that its Trinity erases important distinctions between the three persons, others that the book is anti-church." I personally appreciated how the Trinity was presented by blurring distinctives between the three persons of the Trinity - emphasizing three distinct persons, yet one.

I'd be interested in the perspectives of others...

Cor

3 comments:

RogueMonk said...

It is o my desk, waiting to be read.


Blessings.

RogueMonk said...

Heather just read the book. She read it in two days. She expressed simmilar sentiments to you re. the Trinity. I have not read the book, and so am unable to comment.

Rileysowner said...

I'm on the waiting list at the library. Frankly I have little desire to read it, but due to all the people who are reading it, and reviews from people I trust that make me question the type of theology it is portraying, I need to read it so I can deal with it.